Saturday, April 09, 2005

native son

So I'm reading Richard Wright's Native Son, and I can't help but pull for Bigger to get away with killing the white girl. And I'm trying to figure out what the white girl symbolizes, and why Bigger feels so liberated by having killed her. I want to say that she stands for all that is coveted by male-dominated white-supremacist, American society. But then, she was a Communist sympathizer who was helping plot the revolution that would give blacks -- "Your people," as she put it to Bigger -- equal footing in the US.

I guess I'm intrigued by how Bigger would come to finally feel truly free through such a heinous and stupid crime. What's Wright trying to say about race relations in America? How does it apply to where we are now? And where's it all going? I'm assuming he'll get caught and imprisoned. Will he continue to feel liberated? If so, what on earth does that mean?

Interesting experience, reading this book. It's weird, I want to cut a debate case out of it, preferably a negative argument. But i have a hunch I'd be stepping on dangerous ground, what with the murder of white woomenn and all.

No comments: