Tuesday, May 17, 2005

the soles of gray folks

I've been wearing Crocs ever since I bought them (for $25). Don't matter where. Garden. Grocery store. Disco.

Without fail, every Central High kid who's noticed them has made fun of them. Antoine said to me, "They're like someone set out to make the whitest shoes on earth."

Then I come out here to Indiana, and everyone in my family notices the shoes and they say how much they like them. And, like me, they're white.

And all this has me thinking Kanye West:

We'a buy a lot of clothes when we don't really need em
Things we buy to cover up what's inside
Cause they made us hate ourself and love they wealth
That's why shorty's hollering "where the ballas' at?"
Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack
And a white man get paid off of all a dat

No comments: