Wednesday, September 28, 2005

it's all so fast

I don't think I've ever gotten access so quickly.

Today I met with a person I'd like to write a book about. This means I would be hanging around this person almost daily for more than a year. He didn't even hesitate. Full access. No secrets. Anything I want.

We talked for about an hour and a half, and it's clear he's a great character. I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like him. He defies so many stereotypes. Outspoken. Doesn't mince words. No sacred cows.

He's built up something huge and amazing here in our fair city (or rather, on its outskirts), and he yearns to make it all bigger and more amazing.

It seems so right. I know there's a story here. Really, a matrix of interconnected stories, which is the kind I love to tell. But it's all happening so quickly, it's easy to second guess.

And it's still a bit early for certainty. Now I've got to hang around for a while, find other interesting people associated with this guy, and persuade them to let me in. I have no reason to believe that this will happen as easily.

But still, it's days like this when I love being a journalist. When I feel most at home in my career.

No comments: