Thursday, April 13, 2006

busy

Sorry I haven't been writing much. I've been very busy, which is a good thing, compared to where I was a couple of months ago. This new book project is going full steam ahead and it's getting better and better all the time. This seems like a real winner, and I'm spending more and more time at the church I'm writing about -- especially this week, what with the resurrection of Jesus and all. Jesus is black this year.

Besides that I've started pulling in some magazine assignments. I got a couple from Vibe, one of which had me in Dallas a couple weeks ago. They decided to feature me on their contributer page, which means they'll print my picture along with my answers to a kind of fun questionaire. I'm excited about it, but a little insecure -- I'm worried I'm too old and white. It's all supposed to be in the July issue, so check it out. And I got an assignment from this new business mag that's starting up here in KC. It actually pays pretty darn good, which is unusual for local publications, but they're making me work for it. They want an investigative piece, so I pitched them a bunch of ideas and of course they picked the toughest one. I've also been doing some articles for my neighborhood newspaper, which is fun -- a good way to get to know my community (plus they pay better than my former employer).

So, as you can see, I'm back in that jittery, fired-up, gum-shoe reporter mode. I'm feeling a tad out of shape, I suppose, but it's better than being comotose in depression.

On top of that I'm doing a final read through on my book. And it's time to get going in the garden. I planted peas yesterday. A whole bed and a half of them. I hope they grow. I like peas.

No comments: