Sunday, November 04, 2007

cranky race fan

When I was in junior high and totally hooked on running, my favorite sporting event was the New York City Marathon. They used to broadcast it in its entirety on network TV. This was back at the tail end of the glory days of American distance running, when Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley and Greg Meyer were tearing it up.

This morning I want nothing more than to watch the race. But I can't. It's not on TV. There is a webcast available, but the software is incompatable with Macintosh. So I have to wait until 2 p.m. for a one-hour highlight show.

Not fair!

Above all, I can't understand why. Marathons are more popular now than they ever were. All morning our local NBC affiiliate has been showing infomercials and reruns of Matlock. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have made more money off the marathon.

2 comments:

tumple said...

Sorry I forgot it was this wkend or maybe I would've been motivated to get out the door earlier and at least gone to take pictures of it for you!

Applecart T. said...

you should have been running in the cliffhanger instead anyway! : )