Tuesday, April 05, 2005

bookish

I have a goal of checking out every used bookstore in Kansas City. So far I've been to the usual haunts -- Spivey's, Bloomsday, Prospero's and the Crossroad's Infoshop. On Monday I went with Ebony and Geoffery. It was funny. At each store, I went straight for the black studies section, and they went to philosophy. I loaded up on books by black radicals. Ebony got a bunch of Marxist books. And Geoffery went old school, with some Plato, Rouseau and Hobbes.

Right now I'm reading Native Son for the first time. So far, so deep.

He hated his family because he knew that they were suffering and that he was powerless to help them. He knew that the moment he allowed himself to feel the fullness of how they lived, the shame and misery of their lives, he would be swept out of himself with fear and despair. So he held toward them an attitude of iron reserve; he lived with them, but behind a wall, a curtain. And toward himself he was even more exacting. He knew that the moment he allowed what his life meant to enter fully into his consciousness, he would either kill himself or someone else. So he denied himself and acted tough.

Books I've bought:

Why WeCan't Wait, Martiin Luther King, Jr.
Fences, August Wilson
If They Come in the Morning, Angela Y. Davis
Black Boy, Riichard Wright
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Rhetoric of Black Revolution>, Arthur Smith
The Shadow that Scares Me, Dick Gregory

I'm digging into all this stuff because I want to write some debate cases that utilize black authors almost exclusively.

What books have you folks bought recently?

Which brings me to a point I've been meaning to make on thiis blog lately. Why don't hardly any of you post comments?

If you all would get in the habit of dashing off a line or two whenever you stop in for a visit, I'd be just as happy as can be. Don't worry about how you might come oof. All I want is the company.

No comments: