Monday, November 07, 2005

hard to believe

The first thought that crossed my mind when I read about prison conditions in Africa was, You should be happy. You're life isn't that hard.

Ugh. How self absorbed.

News like this really challenges my faith. Lately I've been praying with fair regularity. Pretty much every morning. I ask God to guide me, to put me to good use. And, down in the bottom of each prayer, mostly unspoken, is a request to feel happy, light of spirit.

Then I read about people stacked up on top of one another in disease ridden shacks in Africa, and I think it's all absurd.

God's plan for me??!!

I just can't make sense of it.

What kind of God would intercede in the life of a privileged American schmoe like me, and yet let so many people live in absolute misery?

To me, that's the hardest question.

No comments: